About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States
Hi there! I am a Registered Nurse that has worked in both Medical-Surgical nursing and Newborn Nursery/Women's Health. I've been honored to care for patients as they take their last breath and as they cry their first. This August I am returning to Mercy Ships for 9 months as a nurse caring for Women's Health patients. I pray that the Lord will use me to speak life and love into these ladies lives.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

So Long Sierra Leone

We are finally sailing! Yesterday we left the port in Freetown around noon. Leaving Sierra Leone was hard. It caught me by surprise actually. After we mustered one last time to make sure that everyone was onboard, we prepared to leave. All of the crew members stood on decks 7 and 8 facing the dock to wave farewell to those standing on the dock. We hadn't publicized the date we were leaving for security reasons, so there was no large crowd to see us off. I think it was easier that way. The ship's engines became louder and louder as we prepared to leave. Our captain, Tim, came over the intercom, which could be heard by us and all those gathered on the dock. He prayed for Sierra Leone, and for continued peace and reconciliation there. That was when I lost control. I cried because of the wonderful people I have met that I may never see again. Children like Osman made such an impression on me that I will never forget. I cried because there were so many people we were not able to help due to to time, ability, or resources. And Sierra Leone has been home for 4 1/2 months. I have so many fond memories of Salone that I will never forget. 




As we pulled away from the dock, the Africa Mercy blew her horn (a tradition) and everyone clapped. Then to our surprise, a ship that was docked in front of us blew her horn, and many of the crew members waved to us. Pulling away from the dock felt so surreal. It was like your house suddenly moving away from where it's always been. There's just something special about that dirty, dusty dock where I've seen hundreds of new patients come onto the ship, and hundreds leave the ship in a much better condition. It's really an experience that's hard to put into words.

Now we're out on the open ocean, and all I can say is wow!!! All of the verses in the Bible that speak about God having control over the ocean make sense now. It's just so big and never ending. That sounds like common sense, but I could never grasp it before. I love being able to look for miles in every direction and see nothing but water. The sailing is pretty smooth so far. Sometimes walking a straight line is difficult, but all you can do is laugh at yourself! At night I feel like a baby being rocked to sleep. Many crew members are suffering from seasickness, but thankfully I am not. Today after dinner, our security officer came over the intercom and announced that whales had been spotted from the bow of the ship. So several friends and I literally ran to the bow and made it in time! They weren't very close, but we could see them spewing water over and over, and I saw the huge, smooth back of one. Besides that, we've seen plenty of flying fish...they're so cool! Next I really want to see dolphins. :)


I believe we're off the coast of Liberia at the moment, and we plan to arrive in Tema, Ghana by Thursday. Arriving in Ghana will be an adjustment, because Ghana is much wealthier than Sierra Leone. There is a shopping mall, a movie theatre, nice markets and restaurants...the list goes on. It will be nice to have several days there before I fly home. I WILL be home for Christmas! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment