About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States
Hi there! I am a Registered Nurse that has worked in both Medical-Surgical nursing and Newborn Nursery/Women's Health. I've been honored to care for patients as they take their last breath and as they cry their first. This August I am returning to Mercy Ships for 9 months as a nurse caring for Women's Health patients. I pray that the Lord will use me to speak life and love into these ladies lives.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

"Très Belle"

In this post, I want to show you some of my amazing patients that I've been able to care for. There is so much I could tell you about each lady...but I will be brief. I have been so blessed to get to know these ladies, and I already feel that they have done more for me than I have for them. Their joyful spirits, courage to come to this big white ship, and trust in us foreigners is hard to comprehend. They don't make demands. They don't ask a lot of questions. They trust that we are doing the very best we can to help them on their journey of healing. It is truly an honor to care for them. 

After the dress ceremony when we give them hugs and celebrate, we often tell them that they are "très belle" which means very beautiful. While they do look stunning, I think we say it more to affirm their inner beauty that is radiating out. We say it to celebrate with them the transformation that has happened.

 My friend Ashley and I with the first group of ladies. Jacqueline (left side) was the very first patient I took care of here, and I will always remember her. 

This was during the Dress Ceremony when it was time for Mama Esther to share about her healing. She had been leaking urine for 20 years and had lost hope that she would ever be healed. When it was her turn, she jumped up and ran into the middle of the room and began declaring praise to the Lord for what he had done, and thanking Mercy Ships. The joy in the room was tangible.

Brenda Shana (in pink) is a patient who became dear to me. She is only 18 years old, and has been suffering with a fistula for a year since she lost her baby in childbirth. On the day that her catheter came out and she remained dry, her smile was contagious. I asked her "What are you thinking about?" and she said with a huge grin, "I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe I'm dry!" And then after her mother came to visit, and she said that her mother was "beyond excited" but she couldn't think of a word that was adequate. This young girl now has a second chance at life, a chance that she didn't believe she would get. I can't believe I get to be a part of this.

 
Mama Henriette dancing into the dress ceremony. 


 Aissatou was a very special patient to us. She had a lengthy stay on our ward due to her complicated surgery. Towards the end of her stay, she began to jump in and help with translating and giving instructions to new patients. I was amazed by how observant she was, and how much kindness she showed to the other patients. 


Our patients love to work with their hands, and they are extremely talented. Many of the items that they make (hats, bags, etc) are given away to other patients or crew members.


Mama Aissatou with her handiwork


 Anna with her big, beautiful smile


The next few photos are from Deck 7. This is where we take the patients every afternoon to allow them to get some sunshine, fresh air, and exercise. For the orthopedic children, time on deck 7 is a bit unpleasant as they are pushed to walk and use their newly straightened legs.







The founder of Mercy Ships, Don Stephens, came to visit the ship several weeks ago. He and his wife, Deyon, founded Mercy Ships in 1978. While here, Don spent a lot of time with the crew as well as with the patients. He asked me to join him for lunch one day and I gladly said yes! It felt surreal to get to speak with the man whose faith and God-given dream has grown into this amazing organization. His humility is mirrored by the humility and openness that I've seen from all the leaders here at Mercy Ships, and it has amazed me. They are flawed and human like the rest of us, yet the common mission of serving the Lord together keeps everyone on the same level.
 
Nurse Amber and Don Stephens loving on one of the cleft lip babies

   




 My floating home <3

Please keep all of the nurses, physicians, and patients in your prayers. Unfortunately, not every VVF repair is successful, and some cases are much more complicated than others. It is heartbreaking to see some women leaving without the healing that they had desperately hoped for. This has been the hardest part of serving here so far. Please pray for wisdom and peace for the entire team.



2 comments:

  1. I pray the Lord will continue to bless you as you serve Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing some of your experiences, both the pictures and the stories...You should publish a book! The work that's being done is so inspiring!! Continued prayers from way over here!

    ReplyDelete