About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States
Hi there! I am a Registered Nurse that has worked in both Medical-Surgical nursing and Newborn Nursery/Women's Health. I've been honored to care for patients as they take their last breath and as they cry their first. This August I am returning to Mercy Ships for 9 months as a nurse caring for Women's Health patients. I pray that the Lord will use me to speak life and love into these ladies lives.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hope and Healing

That is the goal of Mercy Ships. "Bringing hope and healing to the world's forgotten poor." They seek to  follow the example of Jesus, who healed and loved those who were forgotten...the outcasts of society. The longer that I am here, I see time after time how this is really happening. It's one thing to read a tragic story on a website, and entirely different to meet the person who has been through these hardships. Even once you meet them, it is still hard to grasp what they have endured. 

One sweet boy that I am privileged to know is Osman. I wish you could all come and meet him. He is currently staying at the Hope Center, which is a building used to take care of patients who are recovering from surgery, and to prepare patients for surgery. It is located about 5 minutes walking distance from the ship. I have been a few times now, and I can see that I will be hooked for the remainder of my time here. The kids (mostly boys) just clamor for your attention. I made the mistake a few days ago of sitting on the floor. Pretty soon I had a boy in my lab, one on my legs, and one hanging onto my back. 

This is Osman posing for the picture (he likes soccer). He is 9 years old. 


When I met him, obviously the first thing I noticed was how one of his legs had been amputated. Of course I didn't ask him what had happened, but I later found out. Osman came to the Africa Mercy because of an infection in his right leg from falling out of a tree. A local healer had treated him by placing strips of cloth that were soaked in boiling water on the leg. This resulted in 3rd degree burns that only made things worse. Once he was brought to the ship, several surgeries were done to save the leg and get rid of infection, but his leg continued to worsen. It was either amputate his leg above the knee or he would lose his life. 

I cannot imagine being only 9 years old, and having to face the sort of pain he has been through - both physically and emotionally. Every boy I have ever known loves to run and play...and Osman is no different! He gets around pretty quickly on his crutches, and can even play soccer. But still, even the simple things are now much more complex. The other night we were playing on the floor, and I couldn't help but notice how hard it was for him to move on the floor. Those of us with two legs can easily scoot around, but he had to use his arms mainly to move around. 

Back to the first night I met him. I discovered that Osman has a lovely singing ability. After we hung out for a while, he just began singing out of the blue:

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all...
Jesus, Lamb of God, worthy is your naaaame (don't forget the inflection on the a!)
Jesus, Lamb of God, worthy is your name

It seems that this is one of his favorites. While he sang this, I had to fight tears very hard. Thankfully the tears didn't win. I would have looked like a baby! I joined in with him since I knew the songs. As Osman launched into praise song after praise song (Here I am to Worship, Thank You Lord, etc) I can't tell you what that did to my heart. This boy was praising God, instead of being angry and bitter from all he has lost. 
I have so much to learn from Osman.

Here's a pic with him on the right side. The boy in my lap wouldn't say a word or tell me his name. I guess he's just painfully shy. It appears that he has had a cleft lip surgery...you can barely tell except for the stitches!


This is Evangel Baptist Church. I go there on Sundays that I am not on duty. The building itself isn't much to talk about, but the building is not the church! The people praise God, and that is what matters. In the picture on the right you can see Pastor Daniel. He is ALWAYS there to greet us, even if we're late!


Yesterday, a group of friends and I had the pleasure of walking to the local craft market. Getting there was quite an experience. When walking on the streets here, you have 2 goals: a) to not get run over by a truck or poda-poda (they will hit you) and b) to not fall in the deep gutters where rainwater, trash, and maybe sewage flow. Oh, and make sure you have a good grip on your purse! :)


This was a nice woman at the market. This is authentic Africa dress, and she was happy for me to take a photo. In the local church, this is how everyone is dressed.


The experience of buying at the market was very unique. It is mostly fun because you are bartering, but also stressful. As we walked upstairs to the main market area, there were many small "stalls". Probably 25 of them. As you walked by each stall, there would be a man trying to sell his items. But they don't just passively stand there and wait for you to decide, they try to decide for you! If they see you eyeing something (heaven forbid you touch it) they immediately pick it up and tell you all the reasons you should buy it. "This will look good on you." "I give you good price...you're my first customer today!" (yeah, right.) They REALLY pressure you into buying. If it was something I wanted, I asked what their price was. Whatever number they said was usually about double what they would charge a local person. So I would say "Hmmm..." and frown to show I wasn't happy. Then I would offer about half of what they said. If they only came down a little, I would say "No, I won't buy it then." This worked pretty well. Because we are white and they know we are rich, the prices weren't what the locals would pay. To me they were still very cheap! For example, I bought a beautiful handmade purse for 25,000 Leones, which is about 7.50 US dollars.  Not bad! I bought two necklaces for 10,000 which is 2.50 US dollars. So anyway, it was fun, and I hope my bartering skills will be even better next time!


The cotton tree in Freetown! I was so glad to finally see it for myself. And yes, it is BIG. Legend says that the tree is 300 years old. 


We ate lunch at the Crown Bakery in the city. It is so weird to go to a modern, Americanized restaurant in the middle of all the poverty that makes up 90% of Freetown.
From the left is Sandra, Savanna, Jillian, and I. Jillian is the hairdresser on the ship (don't get on her bad side)!


My new roommate, Sandra, and I. You can tell we got some sun!

My home for 4 1/2 months. :)


The sun finally making an appearance.


I know this post is quite long, but to be honest, I have barely scratched the surface of all I am seeing and experiencing here. I'm sure I will post again soon...there is so much more to say!
Keep me in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, sister. Little Osman is so cute. Maybe we can meet him one day...? I love you and miss you. God is definitely using you there.

    ReplyDelete