About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States
Hi there! I am a Registered Nurse that has worked in both Medical-Surgical nursing and Newborn Nursery/Women's Health. I've been honored to care for patients as they take their last breath and as they cry their first. This August I am returning to Mercy Ships for 9 months as a nurse caring for Women's Health patients. I pray that the Lord will use me to speak life and love into these ladies lives.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Picture time!

I'm sorry it took so long to get pictures up! The internet here is quite slow. :)

This is during the flight to Belgium. I loved watching the sun come up over Europe!




Getting ready to land in Brussels, Belgium.



Inside the airport.

Airplane food! This meal was MUCH better than the one on the previous flight.


 Flying over northern Africa. You can tell we're not in the US anymore.


Getting ready to land in the Gambia.

The very cool-looking airport in the Gambia.

Flying over Sierra Leone! You can tell it's very cloudy because it's the rainy season.

Landing! Quite glad I wasn't on that plane...

The big bird we came in on.

Really, really tired...but glad to be on the ground!

My lovely new friend, Savanna. I'm so glad we traveled together.

Welcome! You can see how old the airport is.

This was the van that picked up our luggage. Who needs windows? You can tell there was a lot going on outside the airport.




These next few are a bit blurry. Palm trees! 

There was a big soccer game going on...looked like fun!

A small home.

A small church we passed by.

This was the ferry that took us across the waterway to get to the ship. 

The sunsets over the ocean are quite beautiful (when the clouds aren't in the way).

Lots of canoes...I believe these are used by fishermen.

A packed ferry that came into the port.

Need sleeeeeep. ;)

I had quite a nice welcome when I arrived to my cabin!

This is written by the window in our cabin. Such a great reminder!

This is the currency here - Leones. 10,000 is equal to about $2.5 US currency.

Haha...made me laugh.

My bed area. Sleeps very comfortably.

Closet area. 

The bathroom. Thankfully we have two because our cabin is a 10-berth.


These three are my view from the top deck of the ship. I love going out at night to take in the sights.
You can see how very old most of the structures are in Freetown.


This is along the bay. So many tiny houses crammed together.


I hope you enjoyed the photos! I am enjoying ship life, although it does take a little adjusting (the constant rocking for one thing). Yesterday two friends and I ventured into the city for a little while. The sights and smells were quite alot to take in. Many women and children make their living by selling produce and other goods on the roadside. This ranges from peppers, mangoes, onions, rice, and beans, to jewelry, diapers, and flip-flops. It is especially hard to see children who look 5 or 6 years old selling things. It is so hard to look them in the eye and say that no, you cannot help them. Our adventure into town was cut short once the rains started up, and we were drenched! It was a good first outing.

Then today, I went with several friends and attended Evangel Baptist Church in the Waterloo area. Not only was church an adventure, but the trip there! It took well over an hour, and you often found yourself hanging on to the handles built for such rough travel. We went for a ways up a dirt road where water drains down in the rainy season. So it was quite a bumpy ride! The worship was African style, and I really enjoyed it. We were packed like sardines in the building, which was hot, and we sat on wood benches. I am so amazed at how these people praise God, despite the many hardships I know they have gone through. I cannot imagine the difficult things they have faced. And yet they still worship God, and haven't become angry or bitter. By the time church was over, I had been greeted by nearly every person in the church. They go to great lengths to make visitors feel welcome! The sweetest thing was when children would line up to be greeted by us. They would shake our hands, and we would talk to them a bit. I have to say that Sierra Leoneans are the most beautiful people I have ever seen. Today at church I couldn't help but but notice that every woman and child there was lovely. I felt so much respect for these women today. As I greeted some of them, you can't help but notice the graceful way they carry themselves, and the pride that keeps them standing tall. I truly admire them.

There are so many humorous things I could tell you! For instance, I have seen Obama's face on several T shirts being worn, or I have seen Madonna's face on the back of taxi's. Today I saw at least 23 people step out of one small van (poda poda). I couldn't stop laughing as they just kept coming! (I won't be laughing when I ride in a poda poda.) :D

Please keep me in your prayers. I begin this coming week working in the Hospitality Department!

God bless you!
Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures. Keep 'em coming! Love and miss you, sis.

    ReplyDelete