About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States
Hi there! I am a Registered Nurse that has worked in both Medical-Surgical nursing and Newborn Nursery/Women's Health. I've been honored to care for patients as they take their last breath and as they cry their first. This August I am returning to Mercy Ships for 9 months as a nurse caring for Women's Health patients. I pray that the Lord will use me to speak life and love into these ladies lives.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Back to the Africa Mercy...

It's Easter! I hope that everyone has been encouraged today by remembering the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ! I love a statement that my pastor made today. He said "God took on weakness so He could draw near to us (through Jesus his Son)...He allows us to be weak so that we must rely on Him." This was a much needed reminder to me that my own weaknesses which I despise may be the very things that remind me of my need for Jesus.

Well, I've been back in the US for nearly 4 months now. It feels weird that so much time has gone by because it seems that very little has happened in that time! I've resumed college classes so I can start a Nursing Program this fall, and they have kept me VERY busy. However, in comparison to how much happened in my 41/2 months on the ship, my life is unexciting now. I have had the opportunity to speak at several local churches about the work of Mercy Ships, and I have a few more lined up. I really enjoy telling about my experience with Mercy Ships in Sierra Leone and raising support for their work.

The past few months have been very difficult. In some ways the adjustment to living back in the US has been more difficult than the culture shock I experienced in Sierra Leone. While in Africa I was overwhelmed by the poverty that was simply a way of life. Now living back in the States, I have to come to terms with the fact that we truly are RICH. Before my trip I would have said that I was rich, but I had no real understanding of that fact. It is frustrating to be surrounded by people who have no idea how richly they are blessed.

It was very difficult to transition from living with 400+ people who mostly love God and have a heart for the people of Africa to re-entering the culture of the United States where both of those qualities are often absent. I miss that environment where everyone so eagerly put their faith into actions. And not only that, but the transformations I witnessed in patients were both physical and spiritual at the same time. That is why my 4 1/2 months with Mercy Ships was the most rewarding time of my life! I continue to marvel at how God graciously allowed me to join in the work of Mercy Ships. I feel so unworthy, yet grateful.

My exciting news is that I will be re-joining the Africa Mercy this summer for 5 weeks! I am SO excited! I wish it could be longer, but my oldest brother is getting married, so I must work around that date. I will join the ship in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, which is a small Spanish island. The ship goes here every summer to have routine maintenance done. I believe that it is maritime law to have this done. I would much rather be going to Africa, but this is where the ship will be for the summer. I will either be working in the Dining Room or with the Hospitality Dept. where I worked last time! It will be wonderful to see several friends who are still onboard the ship and hear about the outreach in Togo.

The other exciting news is that my brother, Ben, is planning to serve with Mercy Ships for 7 months this year! He jokes that he is following in my footsteps, even though he is older! :) He plans to do Gateway training in Garden Valley, Texas, then fly with his group to Benin, West Africa where they do an outreach. This is where they apply what they have learned, and build a school or church building for a local village. Then he will join the ship in Guinea, where they will be doing a long outreach into 2013. Please be praying for Ben and his preparation. Also pray that he will receive the necessary financial support. We are both about halfway to the amount of money that we need to raise. If you would like to donate to Ben, click HERE.

Hope you have a blessed Easter, and remember that HE is what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment