About Me

My photo
Virginia, United States
Hi there! I am a Registered Nurse that has worked in both Medical-Surgical nursing and Newborn Nursery/Women's Health. I've been honored to care for patients as they take their last breath and as they cry their first. This August I am returning to Mercy Ships for 9 months as a nurse caring for Women's Health patients. I pray that the Lord will use me to speak life and love into these ladies lives.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

What I Think About

I think about Africa every single day.

Sometimes I welcome the memories, but other times, I would prefer not to think about them.

When I visit my grandmother in the nursing home where she is so well cared for
         I think about the woman on the street with no place to live,
her back hunched with age. She begs for money, 
but I have none to give. 
All I can do is hold her hand and pray for her. 
She is thankful for that small gesture.

When I see a fat, healthy, newborn baby
     All I can think about is the baby girl I hold in my arms, 
her body so sick and malnourished that she can barely move. 
Her mother smiles up at me, proud that her daughter has made it this far. 
I try to smile back, but it is fake. 
What are her chances of making it to the age of 5, 
much less adulthood? 
I feel overwhelmed by the unfairness of this world.

When I hear a child laugh
I can only think of Isatu, her body riddled with AIDS 
and grotesquely emaciated. 
The sores from living in a wheelchair pain her. 
I blow bubbles for her 
because it's all that I can do. 
It seems so out of place. But it's enough. 
Her face lights up and she lets out a breathy, 
almost inaudible laugh. 
In that one moment, the pain is forgotten, 
and she is a child again. 

When someone says, "Praise the Lord!"
I hear my friend Kadie say "Tell Papa God plenti tenki!" 
Her hands raised to heaven in praise.
Although her life is more difficult than I can fathom, 
she still thanks God for bringing Mercy Ships 
to remove the large tumor on her jaw. 

Too often, the sweet memories are overshadowed by the pain
the injustice
the sorrow.

But I am finding that as time goes on, I can recall the moments of life
of celebration
of healing
more vividly than those of pain.

And I think that's what is important. Not to forget the sorrow.
But to be like my African friends in this way-
To remember the sorrow 
Thank God for the healing
And embrace every day as an unexpected gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment